* RES-STU Chat

Refresh History
  • That_Guy: CHOY CHOY CHOY! Welcome back. We missed you.
    March 27, 2020, 01:22:40 AM
  • Choy: social distancing= more postal time ;D
    March 26, 2020, 12:13:17 PM
  • Choy: social distancing = more postal time :D
    March 26, 2020, 12:05:24 PM
  • FUBAR!!: sup dude
    March 26, 2020, 10:36:47 AM
  • MR.SUICIDE: Meow
    March 26, 2020, 10:32:55 AM
  • FUBAR!!: Choy is back and .:*Tz*:. Hu$ f Gm$
    March 25, 2020, 10:19:08 PM
  • FUBAR!!: Choy is back and .:*Tz*:. Hu$ f Gm$
    March 25, 2020, 10:18:11 PM
  • That_Guy: Oh cool, A chat box. Niceeeee
    March 25, 2020, 09:26:12 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Dot Guests: 42
Dot Hidden: 0
Dot Users Online:
1 Would you believe: it cos... That_Guy

Replies That_Guy

2 Zuri's Art DisgruntledGirl

Replies DisgruntledGirl

26 8-05-19 is the Postal Ser... default_avatar

Replies LONEWOLFJE

1 RWS's Postal 4 no regerts... default_avatar

Replies LONEWOLFJE

4 WELCOME BACK!! default_avatar

Replies LONEWOLFJE

Author Topic: Quakecon 2011 and 20 years of id Software  (Read 2888 times)

GoodOff

• God Like!
    • View Profile
Quakecon 2011 and 20 years of id Software
« on: August 15, 2011, 09:28:06 PM »
John Carmack's QuakeCon 2011 Keynote and a look back at 20 years of id Software and the gaming industry. Carmack gives an insight to the development of id's upcoming AAA title Rage and today's graphics technology such as MegaTexturing and a brief touch on the future of voxel rendering in video games.

These are very lengthy but interesting videos to watch. I haven't watched Carmack's Q&A all the way through yet, but he does mention DNF somewhere in the vid to an answer from an audience member's question.

Many topics are discussed. Some in particular that stood out for me is the the history of PC gaming, the technology and how the development stages have changed over the years, and the idealistic approach to becoming part of the gaming industry today.

If you enjoy id's games and appreciate what they've done for the last 20 years, then you'll definitely enjoy this!

QuakeCon 2011 John Carmack Keynote Part 1

QuakeCon 2011 John Carmack Keynote Part 2

QuakeCon 2011 - John Carmack Keynote Q&A
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 10:34:32 PM by Toploader »
"I will rule this sector or see it burnt to ashes around me!" - Arcturus Mengsk

Gamefan74

• Holy SHIT!
    • Steam ID - Gamefan74
    • MSN Messenger - gamefan74@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
RE: Quakecon 2011 and 20 years of id Software
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 01:54:40 AM »
You had productivity?

GoodOff

• God Like!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 02:09:16 AM »
Don't you worry, it's well worth it :D
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 02:09:37 AM by GoodOff »

BalanceBeam

• MapAssistant
  • Holy SHIT!
  • "In the Navy"
    • Xbox Live - BalanceBeam2000
    • PSN - BalanceBeam2000
    • Steam ID - shaneparlier
    • ICQ Messenger - 2147483647
    • MSN Messenger - oaksap4@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - shaneparlier
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - oaksap4@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • http://www.downerup.com/
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 04:36:08 AM »
Lmao@MrD,GF

..Why are those videos so addicting?! Fuck!! Didn't get any sleep lol
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 04:37:00 AM by BalanceBeam »
WHO'S PLAYING?

DisgruntledGirl

• Crash Queen
  • Administrator
  • Holy SHIT!
    • MSN Messenger - Disgruntled_girl_reply@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
Re: Quakecon 2011 and 20 years of id Software
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 12:10:50 PM »
Quake Con kinda aggravated me this year because everything started THURSDAY.

When we showed up on Saturday it was scant an hour before shutting down. Wasn't even 5pm yet.
I got a fist full of bad ideas!

LORD MJ

• Holy SHIT!
  • The LORD of all Lords
    • View Profile
    • http://lordmjproductions.weebly.com
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 01:25:42 PM »
Can't say that I played too many id games, but I do return to id games quite often. DooM 3 and Quake 3, just to name those two my favorite ones.

But I truly respect their work, and can't wait to play Rage. So I'll watch all the videos when I have time.

When I get mad I just want to go POSTAL.

Panzer89

• Shotgun Surgeon
  • Administrator
  • Holy SHIT!
  • Take ten shots and call me in the morning
    • Xbox Live - Panzer89
    • PSN - Panzer_89
    • Steam ID - Panzer_89
    • View Profile
    • Team Fortress 2
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, 05:16:40 PM »
Skip RAGE if you can only play it on the PC.

Play it on the 360 or PS3 if you can.
"There's black diamond coal burnin' in my veins, and a taste in my mouth I just can't explain" - The Hunger by Kreeps

ballsack

• Sitdown and Shutup You Big Balled Fuck
  • God Like!
    • MSN Messenger - slipknotnstuff@yahoo.com.au
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2011, 05:59:30 PM »
I'll just do as I always do, wait until it hits a Steam sale for 75% off and by then it will be fully patched up (sad to see ID bork their pc release so badly, Karmack can blame the drivers all he likes but most devs manage to get out a game that works on at least the current generation fairly consistently).

Yepper
I waited 20 Years for postal2 and then it was free ROR
 8)
Some people can't sleep because they have insomnia. I can't sleep because I have Internet connection.

LORD MJ

• Holy SHIT!
  • The LORD of all Lords
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 04:02:02 AM »

A fast FPS on a console?! Thanks for the suggestion but (please don't get me wrong) NEVER gonna happen!!
I never played a FPS on a console and I'll never will and I don't care if PC version is buggy because I rarely have problems with games being buggy or not running. I'm sure it will be patched sooner or later.

Please don't get this response wrong, it might sound that I hate consoles(in some way I do hate them) but I despise a FPS on consoles. It's just wrong not to play with keyboard and mouse.

Panzer89

• Shotgun Surgeon
  • Administrator
  • Holy SHIT!
    • Xbox Live - Panzer89
    • PSN - Panzer_89
    • Steam ID - Panzer_89
    • View Profile
    • Team Fortress 2
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2011, 10:34:40 PM »

A fast FPS on a console?! Thanks for the suggestion but (please don't get me wrong) NEVER gonna happen!!
I never played a FPS on a console and I'll never will and I don't care if PC version is buggy because I rarely have problems with games being buggy or not running. I'm sure it will be patched sooner or later.

Please don't get this response wrong, it might sound that I hate consoles(in some way I do hate them) but I despise a FPS on consoles. It's just wrong not to play with keyboard and mouse.

What Top said. It's not that it's not good on the PC, it's that it doesn't work for over 90% of people trying to play it.

GoodOff

• God Like!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2011, 05:39:13 PM »
I'm little more open minded when it comes to FPS games on consoles. There have been some great shooters that have never been released for the PC(i.e.: Po'ed).

However, I think if you're gonna make it for one platform, it should not be ported to any other. Ported being the keyword as the game should be different on each platform, and not exactly the same. Remember Double Dragon? Battletoads? Each platform had their own unique version of the IPs, and they were all essentially worth buying, including the arcades itself :)

Maybe that idea isn't as necessary in-between consoles, but definitely between PC and consoles. These are two different markets. I'm confident that the PC consumer is much more demanding than your console consumer, despite the PC games' past history with bugs and stuff(Creating a game for the PC is no cakewalk) But, that is what id is(was) known for: Making extremely compatible PC games, even at the render level(Not to mention "democratizing" gaming by releasing tools and the source code). This is what happens when you become a subsidiary of a bigger company and the main focus has been turned to revenue.

If you watched the videos on this thread, you'll notice Carmack saying "I'm an incredibly unsentimental person", and with the release of Rage on the PC, it sure does reflect that statement. I'm sure there is plenty of money to go around in the business of being sentimental, but it appears id's best interest is getting as much money as possible, not just to satisfy themselves, but to satisfy their investors. And we all know what investors are all about.

Bottom line, Rage should of never been ported to the PC excluding the idea of getting rich off of launch day customers.(I've forgot to mention that this is the first time id has ever created a game primarily for the console platform(s)).

The funniest thing about all this is the trend of drastically buggy, if not totally incompatible PC games today. I've been thinking about the market for hardware enthusiasts, and wonder what they're investing all that hardware in to. Perhaps by one single game developer that does focus on the PC market? That's a lot of money to spend just to play one game.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 05:45:38 PM by GoodOff »

LORD MJ

• Holy SHIT!
  • The LORD of all Lords
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2011, 03:38:10 AM »
I see, you all have some good points here.

Toploader, yeah I just Googled and found a lot of complaints about Rage. Missing textures, crashing right after start. I think I'll wait until it's all patched up and ready to go.

As far as console ports go, I don't mind them if the game is playable. I for example played Resident Evil 4, and it was a TERRIBLE PS2 port. The game haven't had a support for mouse, all menus where for a PS2 controller and game looked like shit. The only good thing is that I didn't buy that game, it was a pirated copy. And I'm happy I didn't buy it because I would have regretted it is so badly.

Panzer89, I really hope you didn't get my response wrong. When I'm in a bad mood and someone mentions console games, I want to go all Creeper about it.

And I see that were a getting off topic here, so l suggest we end this now.

GoodOff

• God Like!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2011, 03:06:22 PM »
I associate any port to be a disaster as if it were its middle name. I've seen some games so bad that the menu displays "Press the B button to continue"("B" being in a red circle like button) on the PC.  And I've seen developers claim to plan patches for their games - patches for games that would actually make the game run - and simply never do. So every time I hear the word "ported", I cringe. And, it's sad, because not too long ago "ported" meant that some random guy who loves a game so much wanted the game to co-exist with the latest Windows version.

I'm sure that id Software will patch Rage, but it's very disappointing that such a reputable company could sink so low to their founding market. If Rage is DRM-Free, then I'll wait til they liquidate the game at the local retailers to get it for $5 or less. Sometimes merchants will make a deal with a shop that sells used media and it drops the price of brand new, shitty games down to an average of 90% off. You can get Stanglehold for $2.00 brand new factory sealed at this one shop, and they can't seem to get rid of them either. But that's me; I'm oldskool. I avoid installing/loading Steam as much as I can.(BTW, how DO you play Doom 2 on Steam?)

As Karmak states in the videos himself, there used to be over 10 GPU devs and drivers to worry about , now there are only 3.  There is just no excuses for how broken Rage was, they should have just done what RockStar do and delayed the PC release by a few months (although that didn't help them get GTA 4 right sadly).

Oh, yeah! I totally forgot about that. I guess Carmack's focus is on cell phone programming and kissing ZeniMax's ass. There's one thing for sure, he ain't what he used to be, and he's lost a lot of loyal followers. Some would say it's not his fault, but he does represent the company more than anyone else.

Panzer89

• Shotgun Surgeon
  • Administrator
  • Holy SHIT!
    • Xbox Live - Panzer89
    • PSN - Panzer_89
    • Steam ID - Panzer_89
    • View Profile
    • Team Fortress 2
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2011, 03:19:37 PM »
As far as console ports go, I don't mind them if the game is playable. I for example played Resident Evil 4, and it was a TERRIBLE PS2 port. The game haven't had a support for mouse, all menus where for a PS2 controller and game looked like shit. The only good thing is that I didn't buy that game, it was a pirated copy. And I'm happy I didn't buy it because I would have regretted it is so badly.

I'm really, really, really, REALLY going to have to fight you about that one as I played the ever loving shit out of my PS2 copy of RE4 and had zero problems and easily 100% more fun than you by the sound of it. It was absolutely perfect for me as I never got used to the GameCube controller, but loved the PS2 one. No mouse support? Maybe it was because it was on a PS2 and not a computer. All menus on a PS2 controller? Again, it was on a PS2. Bad graphics? IT  WAS  ON  A  PS2! It seems your only gripe about the PS2 is that you want it to be a computer. Maybe your prob was that you had a pooched copy, I don't know, I can't know, but dear fuck I loved my PS2. It was the only thing that kept me sane while I was flooded out of my house for six months and it was damn good times. You obviously like computer gaming infinity more than console gaming, and that's okay, I have no problems with that. It's just that we played the same game on the same platform and walked away with two entirely different experiences and this confused the hell out of me, so I'm just posting to say that. Not to start a fight, not to piss you off, not to say you're full of shit, but just to say "hot damn, how weird is that?".
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 05:22:33 PM by Panzer89 »

GoodOff

• God Like!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2011, 04:16:48 PM »
Using a mouse on any RE game is almost like cheating anyway. There's some skill to be done with the aiming of the gamepad ;)