Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Dot Guests: 40
Dot Hidden: 0
Dot Users Online:
11 Any idea on what happened... default_avatar

Replies LONEWOLFJE

3 8-05-19 is the Postal Ser... default_avatar

Replies LONEWOLFJE

12 How to make loading zones... default_avatar

Replies LONEWOLFJE

3 Back after 9 years. Circuit9

Replies Circuit9

44 Ratz House of Games fight... DeathJR

Replies DeathJR

Author Topic: h.p lovecraft game  (Read 2373 times)

bodycore

• Holy SHIT!
    • MSN Messenger - thebodycore@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
h.p lovecraft game
« on: June 19, 2007, 05:24:01 PM »
After im done with dead epedemic, my plan is to make a mod based on the writings of the wonderful H.P lovecraft. The game will take place in the fictional town of Arkham during the 1920s. The player will move freely within the city and get "quests" from different people and has to complete them all to finish the game. The game will feature weapons from the time period and monsters from the mythilogy itself. If anybodys interested, give me some feedback and we'll see what we can pull together... i have not chosen an editor yet and im open for suggestions. What I need for this ting to work is someone who can do weapons and characters as well as some other code stuff I dont know about.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by bodycore »

Panzer89

• Shotgun Surgeon
  • Administrator
  • Holy SHIT!
  • Take ten shots and call me in the morning
    • Xbox Live - Panzer89
    • PSN - Panzer_89
    • Steam ID - Panzer_89
    • View Profile
    • Team Fortress 2
h.p lovecraft game
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 06:15:19 PM »
I've never read and Lovecraft myself, but his work has always interested me. BTW, this is me supporting what your proposing.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Panzer89 »
"There's black diamond coal burnin' in my veins, and a taste in my mouth I just can't explain" - The Hunger by Kreeps

MentalMan

• Holy SHIT!
    • ICQ Messenger - 190082647
    • MSN Messenger - Ragnara_DC@web.de
    • View Profile
h.p lovecraft game
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 05:24:06 AM »
What you really need is a dedicated team and for each section maybe even 2 people working on something. 2 Mappers, 2 coders, 2 modellers etc. Because what you wanna do there will turn out huge and difficult.

And as jon said most of us will be working on the peak, and there's a second mod we want to work on while doing peak. So im not sure if RS really has enough members to help you there. Lovecraft has great storys and he was a very interessting man himself. So this project would be pretty huge, and im not sure if you have fully realized how much work this really is. You should take a look at the game call of cthulhu by the way, its more or less how i would imagine your idea.

Anyways, you idea is surely great, and i would love to map for it too! But it will be hard to find a team around RS for that, since we already have stuff planned out what comes next and what so ever.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by MentalMan »

bodycore

• Holy SHIT!
    • View Profile
    • Email
game
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 12:41:14 PM »
yes, it might be a pretty big project to bite into. I played call of cthulhu and liked it, but it was too litte puzzle and too much shooting. I would like a more balanced game... Ill see if i can put together a script and we'll see if its something RS want to do.

DisgruntledGirl

• Crash Queen
  • Administrator
  • Holy SHIT!
    • MSN Messenger - Disgruntled_girl_reply@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
h.p lovecraft game
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 01:58:56 PM »
Ok.. Here's a GOOD Website for HP Lovecraft stories for those interested

http://www.dagonbytes.com/thelibrary/lovecraft/

You came to a good place, we encourage people to come here and hook up with other modders to try to create their own groups. I can help you get started with the sorting if you want. I got you on MSN, so I'll try to hail you this weekend.

Though I warn you - it's a TON of work (^_^)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by DisgruntledGirl »
I got a fist full of bad ideas!

bodycore

• Holy SHIT!
    • View Profile
    • Email
dreams in the witchhouse.
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 02:52:02 PM »
any suggestions wich game i should make the mod for? Im thinking postal 2, because it allready has people walking around freely like i want them to do in arkham. The main character in the game will be RANDOLPH CARTER, and yes he will dream of unknown Kadath!

DisgruntledGirl

• Crash Queen
  • Administrator
  • Holy SHIT!
    • MSN Messenger - Disgruntled_girl_reply@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
h.p lovecraft game
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007, 02:58:01 PM »
I fired off a PM to you with some pointers, but you raise a REALLY good question here.

So what other games have interactive AIs? Source does but I don't think it's a varied as the Postal 2 guys (Unreal).
You might want to tackle a few fantasy games which encourage chatting to NPCs.

BWAHAHAHAA I had a bad idea:  SIMS  rofl
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by DisgruntledGirl »

bodycore

• Holy SHIT!
    • View Profile
    • Email
woooooooooo
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2007, 03:04:56 PM »
lovecraft sims....... no! I was more thinking cutscenes, where you get the mission. You enter the old bookshop and the book keeper tells you he is searching for a rare book, if you can fetch it for him he will something something and then you leave... I mean in postal 2, you can do the daily missions in any order you want to, so it wouldnt be much diffenence. I

Neurological_

• Holy SHIT!
    • MSN Messenger - neurologicalc83@hotmail.it
    • View Profile
    • http://www.neuro-lab.net
    • Email
h.p lovecraft game
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2007, 05:36:48 PM »
maybe Oblivion engine (but need tons of models), or also on Quake 4 is possible but the scripting is hard as hell or Hl2 for the bsp maps system
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Neurological_ »

MentalMan

• Holy SHIT!
    • ICQ Messenger - 190082647
    • MSN Messenger - Ragnara_DC@web.de
    • View Profile
h.p lovecraft game
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2007, 12:38:37 AM »
You and your weird alien engines nobodys uses :nana:

Go for Unreal3 or Source engine. The only engines to recommend really. Especially unreal3, it is superb and userfriendly. Also pretty much everybody licencees the engine for the up comming games.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by MentalMan »

bodycore

• Holy SHIT!
    • View Profile
    • Email
allright
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2007, 05:42:14 AM »
then lets make it unreal 3 then... im used to the unreal engine allready so why start over with something else... ill post the script when its done.

Avenger

• First Blood!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - theanimal211
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - cavalier211
    • View Profile
Re: game
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2007, 03:53:59 AM »
Quote from: '' dateline=''
yes, it might be a pretty big project to bite into. I played call of cthulhu and liked it, but it was too litte puzzle and too much shooting. I would like a more balanced game... Ill see if i can put together a script and we'll see if its something RS want to do.

When you say you played Call of Cthulhu, do you mean the retail game or the Half-Life mod?

The Cthulhu mod for Half-Life isn't the best but it's kinda fun and follows the story relatively closely. Plus towards the end you get a Tommy Gun.  :headbang: Bodycore, ya might wanna glance at it.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Avenger »
Loosen up, Sandy baby. You're too tight.